The power of safe, sophisticated digital dental x-rays
Individuals and their families in greater northern Maryland trust the experience of our team in Bel Air. Led by Dr. D. Bartholomew G. Kreiner, our office team is experienced and stays up to date on the latest modern dental treatments. However, even the most skilled and seasoned dental professionals are limited in their ability to detect problems by sight and touch alone. This is where dental x-rays come into play.
X-ray imaging, or radiography, involves using special technology to create an image of the most dense parts of the body. These parts include the teeth and bone. Such imaging allows us to clearly see areas that are not visible to the human eye. In turn, this technology supports our ability to diagnose a range of oral conditions accurately. These conditions include:
- Dental decay (cavities)
- Misaligned teeth, bite problems
And such accurate diagnoses inform the creation of effective treatment plans for treating these and other problems in their earliest stages. Early detection and treatment prevent the irreversible damage that leads to aggressive, costly, and time-consuming restorative care.
The digital alternative
“Conventional” x-rays use film to produce images of the mouth. Digital x-rays use special sensors. As an alternative to traditional, film-based radiography, digital imaging is:
- Advanced, allowing for better “visualization” of suspicious areas
- Convenient because images can be rendered and viewed quickly without time-consuming processing
- Very safe, associated with far less radiation exposure than film x-rays
- Not wasteful and an environmentally-friendly option – no film and no processing chemicals!
Types of imaging
Depending on your needs, Dr. Kreiner may order the following:
- Bitewings to evaluate for signs of tooth decay between teeth, as well as malocclusion (misaligned jaws or “bite” imbalances)
- Periapical x-rays to detect jaw-related anomalies at their earliest stages
- Occlusal radiography for the identification of abnormalities involving the palate and the floor of the mouth
- Panoramic x-rays are, as their name suggests, expansive and provide us insights into the entire oral cavity
Better oral health starts with an accurate understanding of the condition of your teeth, gums, and mouth. By using digital dental x-rays, the office of D. Bartholomew G. Kreiner D.D.S., can get you on the road to better health in the fastest, safest, most comfortable, and predictable manner possible. Call (410) 983-6775 to schedule your check-up at our Bel Air, MD office. These routine visits are scheduled at least once every six months. During them, Dr. Kreiner will perform a complete exam. Our talented dental hygienists will also gently clean your teeth. As needed, x-rays may be ordered during your visit.